Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Whose idea was it to create sickness, anyways?


Woke up this morning with a sore throat. Actually, woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat. The. Worst.

There aren’t many illnesses that take the same toll as a sore throat. The flu is manageable because more often than not, most every individual vomits once in his or her life (drinking, bad food, etc.). A cold is just a nuisance that can typically be helped with some rest and a couple over-the-counter pills. And an ear ache, well, an ear ache may just be the 1A to a sore throat’s 1B, considering how awful and crippling having one can be.

But a sore throat? Like, honestly? That’s got to be the reaction most have when awoken with such a thing. It’s like a rainy day for someone who only loves sunny days or someone canceling on a date. Nobody’s going to the emergency room, and it’s not even a serious enough setback to call in sick when it comes to work. But out of all the inconveniences life so often gives, a sore throat has to be somewhere between stuck in traffic while driving a car that has no air conditioning on an 80 degree day and losing your job.

It makes life so much harder to function in. I couldn’t get a full night’s rest because I would constantly be awoken by the pain this thing can give. A dry throat only magnifies the discomfort, too. By the time the morning comes around, you can barely open your mouth because of the stiffness and ache your head happens upon. The first thing you really want to do is run to an oven in which you could stick your face, and melt the pain away.

On top of that, a sore throat usually means something comparable is on its way. In two days, I’ll be waking up with a runny nose and in five, I’ll start to feel my left ear pounding and aching. Headaches will set in. I’ll be stuffy all throughout my head. Sleeping will be difficult, if not impossible. I’ll consider not going to work because of my sickness, though I’ll force myself through the entire day, dismissing my pain as something I should be able to get through. Won’t be able to taste. Nothing will be fun. And investing in a couple Tylenol or Advil will only antagonize my will to finally feel better again.

Ugh. Speaking of sickness, I suppose it could be worse, though. I could be in this band…

No comments:

Post a Comment