Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Clothing with Looney Tunes characters makes a comeback... PSYCHE!


Why have certain people always had a collection of oversized clothing with Looney Tunes characters on them? It’s like the Tazmanian Devil somehow, unbeknownst to him/her/itself, became the family crest of white trash America. And does the popularity of the character somehow determine class rank among these individuals? Does Billy-Bob, who proudly sports a bright yellow Tweety Bird poly blend, scoff at the sight of Ricky, in his faded, two sizes too large Marvin the Martian pullover? When Bobby shows up to the party in his Bugs Bunny/Michael Jordan Space Jam hoody does he have his pick of the buck toothed females in Daffy Duck boy shorts?

Just go to Wal-Mart, you’ll see them everywhere… except, oddly enough, on the racks… which begs another question: where are these people getting these shirts? Who owns the rights to these atrocious articles of clothing and why do they continue to manufacture them? I have never once since the 5th or 6th grade thought to myself “How am I going to express myself through fashion today? Wait a minute… I’ve got it. Looney Tunes, bitch.”

Full disclosure here, I had a couple of these shirts in my day. I wore the crap out of my “Taz Plays Basketball” shirt in the second grade… until it was replaced by my sky blue Super Mario Bros. t-shirt. If I had to guess though, I would say I moved on from Looney Tunes apparel by 1994 (which coincidentally was two years too late…).

Either way, the only thing worse than the clothes… the tattoos. See you at 4 p.m. for the Ride.


- TS



5 comments:

  1. I know someone who has tweety-bird right above their "unmentionables" with a lawn mower mowing the "grass"....I promise that's a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's up there, for sure. Whatever you do though, don't do a Google Image search for Looney Tunes Tattoos... apparently some dude thought it would be awesome to get the whole gang tattooed above AND ON his "unmentionables" - I wish that wasn't a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well of course I looked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well how could you possibly not? Since you did though, what do you think the motivation was there? And maybe the better question: Did the dude win or lose the bet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taz is one of my favorite Looney Tunes characters. We both have a strong personality. I love collecting Taz shirts.

    ReplyDelete