Friday, June 18, 2010

Double Feature: Toy Story 3 & Cyrus

Each Friday, we will offer up two movies that are scheduled to be released within the accompanying weekend. We know, we know. It’s hard to come across blogs who ever actually get movie talk right. That’s why we won’t say much. A trailer. A paragraph. And boom – all you need to know about what new movies you can take your beautiful object of affection to see this weekend. It's like going to the drive-in movie theater. Remember those? So much fun. Thank us later, not now.

Toy Story 3


So everybody likes this movie, eh? Good. Though I shunned movies for the first couple decades of my life, I made it a point to check out the original "Toy Story" back when I was three months old, and even then, as a three-month-old dude, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. That said, I can't imagine this will be a movie I end up seeing this weekend, simply because of the cartoon aspect. Call me a snob if you'd like, and I can't argue that. There's something about animation — however it's done — that I just can't get past. Question: Whose movie is this? Tom Hanks' or Tim Allen's? Just food for thought. From what I remember, they were both tremendous in the first installment. Minus my ignorance, this seems to be getting great reviews (as evidenced from the top link), and that, for some odd reason, makes me very happy considering the slop that has been hitting theaters in recent weeks. For once, a welcome approach to an old idea, and when you think about "The A-Team," "Robin Hood" and all the other recent remakes, this is an odd breath of fresh air. To infinity and beyond, indeed.



Cyrus

Yes, I understand this is limited this week, but it's a comedy that's actually had a ton of hype in my solitary little world. John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill. Tried real hard to hate the Dewey Cox movie, but Mr. Reilly made me a believer then and I have high hopes that he'll do much of the same now. The trailers make the film seem as though it's shot a bit like NBC Thursday night television shows, or, well, "The Office." Can that translate well into the theater? We shall see. Regardless, this movie has romance, awkwardness and all the indie feel anyone wearing a plaid shirt could ask for. Naturally, sign me up. Plus, that soft spot for Jonah Hill I previously mentioned has only grown. Still can't figure out why it's so easy for him to look like he's 12, though. Anyways, for a late June movie, this seems interesting enough to make the trip, that is if you happen to be in one of the four cities it opens in this weekend. Hey, it could be worse. You could be stuck having to watch "Jonah Hex."

8 comments:

  1. HOW have I not seen this trailer for Cyrus? It looks great...like it will be hilarious yet deep? Hopefully. And Toy Story 3...can't wait. Toy Story is like Spongebob and Shrek for me...kids love it, but it is severely enjoyable for adults too with the underlying grownup humor

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you think you'll like Cyrus. Seems to be a movie nobody knows about but will be wonderful. Hope it gets a wide release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually looking forward to both of these movies. I'll probably see Toy Story 3 this weekend because I love Pixar movies. Toy Story has a special place in my heart.

    Cyrus opens July 16 in Pittsburgh. It sucks that we have to wait a month to see it! The trailer looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jule 16!? Goodness. Also heard this Toy Story was in 3D. Don't know if I'd want to see it in 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill, it's bound to hit a wide release. Nearly every comedy JCR touches is gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a bold statement. Anything Jonah Hill touches is gold, is more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is "JCR" an official abbreviation that I was unaware of? Like "JTT" for Jonathon Taylor Thomas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naw, I just felt like using JCR. Did I just create a trend?

    ReplyDelete