Friday, June 4, 2010

Double Feature: Get Him To The Greek & Killers

Each Friday, we will offer up two movies that are scheduled to be released within the accompanying weekend. We know, we know. It’s hard to come across blogs who ever actually get movie talk right. That’s why we won’t say much. A trailer. A paragraph. And boom – all you need to know about what new movies you can take your beautiful object of affection to see this weekend. It's like going to the drive-in movie theater. Remember those? So much fun. Thank us later, not now.

Get Him To The Greek


Well, Meredith Vieira is in this. Or at least for a few seconds, according to the trailer below. Completely understand it’s not cool to want to see this movie. Despised “Knocked Up” and “The 40-Year-Old Virgin.” Really have some inexplicable disdain for the crew this movie associates with. But there’s a soft spot in my heart for “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” and count me in the limited amount of people who tend to think Jonah Hill is funny. Add that to the fact that Diddy seemingly plays a big role here and what you have is something that I wouldn’t fight seeing. It’s like the equivalent of the John Mayer/Train tour this summer, something I recently dubbed the “nobody would ever admit to having a ticket to this” tour. It just feels like this movie should be dismissed, right? Some moments in the previews are funny, though, and while Russell Brand seems to be a bit overrated (and it’s way beyond me that they kept his character from “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” yet changed Jonah Hill’s dude), this may be a worth a watch if you feel like being indoors during a weekend in June. Yep. Highly unlikely.



Killers

Two problems with the fact that I only took up watching movies no more than two years ago. One: I feel as though I hold absolutely no grounds to pass judgment on anything movies when I talk to friends who have been watching movies their whole lives. And two: Their prejudices and judgments tend to rub off on me because of my admitted previous ignorance toward film. That said, file Katherine Heigl under the category of “someone I don’t think I’ll ever be able to root for.” All outside opinions aside, she seems as though she plays the same type of woman in every movie she happens to be in. And she keeps changing hair styles, too (note – the bangs don’t work, hunny). Seems unlikely this will do well, and at what point do you realize that Ashton Kutcher just wants to make movies without shirts? Then again, people like action, and this seems to offer a good amount of it. So who knows? Maybe the star power (?) will prevail, and people love it. Or maybe Katherine Heigl returns to “Grey’s Anatomy” by September.

1 comment:

  1. I also find Jonah Hill funny...and I like all those movies, so I think Get Him To The Greek would be mostly funny...but Killers looks so stupid. I'm all for a chick flick/romcom once in a while but this seems TOO far fetched. Katherine Heigl is typecast a lot, but usually she's cute and semi relateable. Same with Ashton....but I mean. They would have been better paired for a romcom with a more normal plot line. How does Hollywood have $ to produce these hot messes??

    ReplyDelete