Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A salad is a salad is a salad is a salad.

So, I came across this last night. Wait, what? How the hell did you mindlessly come across this out of nowhere? I had a salad last night for dinner, silly. Or, as some may refer to it as, a dinner salad. It came from the world-renown salad-making power-house, Pizza Hut. I ate the salad, thought about salad, and then typed the world “salad” into a google news search, and that link is a result of what I found.

I’ve always loved salads but until the last couple months – months dedicated to losing weight and being healthy – I never gave the notion of a salad serious consideration when considering dinner. Around 30 pounds lost later, a highly decreased running regimen, one vacation behind me and another on its way (more about that Friday), and it’s safe to say I’m off the wagon when it comes to this healthy thing.

But I still love salads, though, which is maybe the one thing I can take away from the last couple months of the Hell that is not eating and running 60,000 miles a day. What this gives me is nothing, really, other than a longer timeframe before I inevitably put all of that weight back on. But, hey. At least I’ll look good for the rest of the summer, right? Wait, you can’t see me.

Anyways, this particular recipe kind of grossed me out. I love BLTs. And I love salads. But a BLT salad? Honestly? It just doesn’t sound right. Why do salad-makers always have this burning desire to pair any type of awkward food with other awkward foods? Or elaborate dishes with other elaborate dishes? It’s like a quest for each chef to bring entire dishes together (ala a BLT salad) to try and form some super-meal. Why? What’s wrong with having a BLT and a salad separately, but as one meal? Seems perfectly fine to me.

You know what’s really good? A simple chef’s salad, or a salad one gets while ordering some bigger, elaborate and expensive meal. Think about it. A tiny bowl with nothing more than lettuce, maybe a tomato and/or cucumber, a couple croutons and a damn good dressing to go with it. These things are completely over-looked these days with trendy diets and elaborate eat-right plans. It’s a shame, really. Because a salad is a complement to a better meal first and an entire course second. Those who think otherwise are totally missing out on some true salad fun.

And speaking of salad fun…



Always nice to get a Monty Python video in to start the day.

Now, does anyone out there know any good salad recipes? Thought I'd ask. It'd be impolite not to.

6 comments:

  1. Syrian Salad is yum. But how to tell you how to make it?

    1. One whole head of iceberg lettuce. You can add some green or red leaf or whatever, if desired. Wash lettuce, tear it up into a big bowl.
    2. With a salt shaker that pours more than shakes, swirl out over the lettuce 3.5 times. (it's a lot, but i don't measure.).
    3. Crush 3 cloves of garlic in it.
    4. Add some olive oil - i don't know how much
    - a TBS of it?
    5. add lemon juice. 1/4 cup? I don't know.
    6. mix together. taste. make it better with either more salt or lemon juice.
    7. extras to add: cracked pepper, tomato, cucumber.
    Or just come to my house. We have this several times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is greatly, greatly appreciated. I may have to try to make that now. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes salads are nothing more than sandwiches without the bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, and I totally disagree with that approach! Leave a salad as a salad! If I want a samich, I'll get a samich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know of any good salad recipes, but I LOVE salads and eat them for dinner about three times a week. I'd recommend Panera's Chopped Chicken Cobb Salad, and the BLT Cobb salad at Wendy's. The Apple Pecan Chicken Salad at Wendy's is also really good. If I'm making a salad at home, usually it's lettuce, a little bit of blue cheese, a little bit of bacon bits, and some dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll tell you what I'm not a fan of: lunchmeat in my salad. Who came up with that? Gross. Grilled chicken or steak salad - sign me up. Now.
    Sincerely,
    The other guy, not the guy who wrote this post

    ReplyDelete