Friday, July 30, 2010

Double Feature: Dinner For Schmucks & Charlie St. Cloud

Each Friday, we will offer up two movies that are scheduled to be released within the accompanying weekend. We know, we know. It’s hard to come across blogs who ever actually get movie talk right. That’s why we won’t say much. A trailer. A paragraph. And boom – all you need to know about what new movies you can take your beautiful object of affection to see this weekend. It's like going to the drive-in movie theater. Remember those? So much fun. Thank us later, not now.

Dinner For Schmucks


It honestly, truly surprises me when people come up to me and say they really can’t wait for this movie to come out. Why? You can’t sell me anything particularly original and/or innovative about it. Sure, it might get a few laughs, and we all have our opinions on Steve Carell, but to say this is a movie you just can’t wait to see? Honestly? That’s like claiming to be excited for “American’s Got Talent” to come on. “To me, religion is like Paul Rudd. I see the appeal and I would never take it away from anyone, but I would also never stand in line for it.” That quote comes from Jeff on “Community” and it couldn’t be any more true. Maybe if “I Love You, Man” didn’t suck half as much as it did, I would be more inclined to be excited for such a movie, but really, have you ever seen a movie Mr. Rudd stars in that is exceptionally good in any aspect? Didn’t think so. Still, Carell is charming in his own right, and seeing him do the immense amount of press he’s done for this movie makes me want to support him in some odd way. Can’t imagine not waiting for the DVD, though. Movies are expensive these days.



Charlie St. Cloud


“It’s like his brother dies, and he likes to play baseball or something.” That’s what my roommate said when I asked why Zac (without a K or an H) Efron was on the television we were watching. It’s intriguing to me that he’s still getting as much work as he’s getting. It’s clear he wants to be taken seriously, or, at the very least, more than just a mere Disney Channel alum. But “17 Again” seemed too Disney for someone who wants to expand his horizons. That said, I admit I have yet to see “Me And Orson Wells,” a movie the kid reportedly shows some chops in here and there. But why is he so eager to be taken seriously? He’s only 22. That’s young. Besides, he should know by now that the best way to do that is to go away for a little while (three to five years), come back with a crazy-good film that earns rave reviews, and begin Act II of a career that people once dismissed as impossible. For his sake, I hope he eventually takes that advice. Until then, we will be subjected to such movies regarding a kid’s dead brother who likes to play baseball. Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment