Thursday, September 16, 2010

Will "Boardwalk Empire" live up to my expectations? I believe so.

Hello again friends… and by again, I mean hello for the first time this week. My deepest apologies for a non-post Tuesday – I’m feeling the grind at work and I unfairly took it out on you. You know, I’m sort of like that kind of cool, kind of annoying friend who won’t finalize plans until the last minute, so you’re not sure if said plans are actually going to happen.

I’m not a big fan of friends like that, so again, sorry about that.

Anyways, on to the subject at hand… and this is a big one for me. Sunday marks the debut of what I believe will be a big show for HBO and pop culture in general. The show was written by a Soprano, directed/produced by a legend, boasts a killer cast and is centered around quite possibly the coolest concept in American film history, the mob… this show was, simply put, created for me. I’m of course talking about “Boardwalk Empire” (if the headline of this post didn't clue you in already).



Gang/mob/mafia/organized crime stories fascinate me, plain and simple. It’s a rough, gritty world that I would never have the gall to participate in, but would love to have been a part of in another life… like if I was bigger and stronger and meaner and able to hit someone in the face without getting a weird, freaked out feeling beforehand.

I think what draws me to that world though isn’t the physicality of it – it’s the strategy, the emotion, the action. But it’s also the code of values, broken as they often are. Call me cliché, but I love my family and I love the concept of family in general, and I know that when everyone else in the world is gone, I can still believe in that.

I’m the guy who loved Tony Soprano because of his family-first mantra, even after he curb-stomped some poor schmuck who couldn’t pay up one week for “protection.” I’m the guy who shed a tear when I realized that Fredo Corleone was about to get whacked by his own brother (indirectly of course)... His. Own. Brother.

ANYWAYS, based in Atlantic City during the start of prohibition, "Boardwalk Empire" follows Nucky Thompson – one part politician, one part gangster, all parts awesome – played by Steve Buschemi, who did some of his best work on “The Sopranos” and “Reservoir Dogs.” The cast also includes a few faces I absolutely adore seeing on any screen, namely Michael Pitt, who I (and possibly only I) LOVED in “Funny Games.” Michael Kenneth Williams from “The Wire” is also on the show, which should make my blogging counterpart squeal with delight.

For more on “Boardwalk Empire,” here’s a link that can explain it better than I.

Now, in the interest of leaving you wanting more, I’m going to cut this rant off by letting you know what Tuesday’s noontime post will be: top gang/mob/mafia/organized crime productions according to me (I haven’t picked a number, hehe). And while I doubt “Boardwalk Empire” will make the list after one episode, stranger things have happened, right? I mean my partner in crime on this very blog actually thought Taylor Swift’s VMA performance was anything but mediocre.

Boom.

In the meantime, I hope you’ll leave some love for Steve Buschemi here in the comments section. I’ll be thinking about you, we’ll see you at 4 p.m. for The Ride. xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. I really hope to catch this on Sunday night. It has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete