Friday, September 17, 2010

Double Feature: Jack Goes Boating & The Town

Each Friday, we will offer up two movies that are scheduled to be released within the accompanying weekend. We know, we know. It’s hard to come across blogs who ever actually get movie talk right. That’s why we won’t say much. A trailer. A paragraph. And boom – all you need to know about what new movies you can take your beautiful object of affection to see this weekend. It's like going to the drive-in movie theater. Remember those? So much fun. Thank us later, not now.

Jack Goes Boating

A lot of movies out this week that I would normally use this space to talk about. But I've been following the evolution of this movie for over a year now, and though I realize it is only a limited release this week (it opens wide next week, though I am sure that will mean going from seven theaters to, oh, say, like 19), I feel as though it is my duty to tackle this one now, the day it finally comes out (even if it is to only a handful of places). As I said yesterday, Philip Seymour Hoffman has forever been, and will forever be, my favoritest actor ever. "The Office" has never been better than it was when Amy Ryan became Michael Scott's love interest for 58 seconds (oh, and she was also phenomenal in something called "Gone Baby Gone"). It has all the elements to be the best movie released this year, and it has all the potential to be one of my top whatever movies in the history of forever. It's love. It's loss. It looks like it has the tone of "Savages." It's sad. It's happy. It's slow. It looks to be every single thing I look for in a great movie. Here's hoping 1) it doesn't let me down and 2) it opens within 200 miles of where I live. Really don't want to have to wait for the DVD on this one. Really, really don't.



The Town

I've been seeing previews for this thing for months upon months upon months now. Jeremy Renner. Jon Hamm. And though I'm not as hot on Ben Affleck as others may be, I think I liked "Extract" a lot more than most, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that he was in it. The surprise? People are actually talking Oscar when it comes to this, a movie that appears to be nothing more than a simple smarty pants action flick. So this just has to be great, right? It has all the big names attached to it (the studio that brought you "The Departed" and, not to mention, some kind of tie into the aforementioned fabulous "Gone Baby Gone"), and we finally get to see the guy who starred in last year's Best Picture winner in another movie, something that felt like it should have happened months ago. But alas, I trust him. I trust Don Draper. And I trust the previews I've seen. This is a great weekend for movies. Don't waste it, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment