Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Like Usher Said: Let it Burn

As you all rejoice in having us back after what I’m sure was a long and arduous week without, today I’d like to offer you a little post to help make you feel better about your collective selves.

Most of you know the better half of this blog and me (along with my wife and several dear friends) just returned from a week of R&R at the shores of the Outer Banks in NC.

I had but a few goals for the week of fun and sun:
1. Eat fresh seafood and NC-style BBQ
2. Relax
3. Read a book for fun
4. Don’t get too sunburned

Well friends, goal number one went off without a hitch. In fact, it’s safe to say I crushed that goal and made it my b-word. Goal number two I accomplished mostly, thanks in no part to the goings-on of our life back at home (a different story for a different day). Goal number three I somewhat finished, although unfortunately I didn’t get to the bookstore before the trip so I ended up reading half of this book I found in the beach house called “Pleading Guilty” or something.

Goal number four, on the other hand, well I thought I had that one licked, until God chuckled heartily and reminded me who’s the boss. Despite my best efforts (slathering on SPF30 every hour or so) I still managed to get a little crispy on an area that I never imagined...

Easy pervs, I’m not talking about that area. 

I’m talking about the top of my head. And yes, I am officially 80 years old.

Don’t misunderstand, I’m not a ginger kid. I don't typically burn horrendously. And while I may be balding, I am nowhere near “bald.” I’ve got the widow’s peak going, but that’s about it, so I never dreamed my scalp would get scorched.

Apparently though, my hair is just barely thin and terrible enough to let those harmful UV Rays in, free to plunder and pillage… and embarrass me on my first day back to work, at which point I looked like the “before” picture in a Head & Shoulders commercial due to the peeling.

But I guess I can’t complain too much: three out of four goals ain’t bad… And the better half of this blog was sunburned so bad we thought he needed to be hospitalized, hehe. We can laugh about it now, ay?

If you’ve got a good sunburn story, we’d absolutely love to hear it. Misery does, after all, love company.

See you at 4 p.m. if you’d like to hitch a Ride Home with our links. Hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment