Friday, August 20, 2010

Double Feature: The Switch & Lottery Ticket

Each Friday, we will offer up two movies that are scheduled to be released within the accompanying weekend. We know, we know. It’s hard to come across blogs who ever actually get movie talk right. That’s why we won’t say much. A trailer. A paragraph. And boom – all you need to know about what new movies you can take your beautiful object of affection to see this weekend. It's like going to the drive-in movie theater. Remember those? So much fun. Thank us later, not now.

The Switch


Last week, Michael Cera bombed with a dismal opening weekend that saw his movie, "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World," barely break the $10 million barrier. This week, we see how another "Arrested Development" alum can do. And he even has a little help from Jennifer Aniston! Me? I'll have to see it (remember, this comes from someone who highly enjoyed "Extract"). In the theater? Probably not. Though if I lived in a convenient place that was surrounded by movie theaters, the likelihood of me seeing it in an actual theater would probably increase. Also, I really, really, really like Jen. I do. Count me in what seems to be the decreasing number of people who still love her. The only problem? It seems to be opening to wretched reviews (i.e. a 45 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes). But, hey. The critics said the same thing about the aforementioned "Extract" adventure. So what do they know, anyways? If nothing else, it can hold people like me over until that "Arrested Development" script is finally completed.



Lottery Ticket

What the hell is this? Bill Bellamy. T-Pain. Charlie Murphy. Ice Cube. And a "Oh, so that's what she's doing now" Teairra Mari (disclosure: I own her debut and only album. Didn't burn it. I own it, as in, I bought it.). Had no idea what this was, even after I saw the trailer six times. How could anybody think this is a good idea? And why do idiot comedies centered around African-Americans such as this continue to creep out through the cracks? Really, really liked Bow Wow on "Entourage" and thought that after his work there, he could be taken seriously as an actor. I even could go as far to say that I thought his career looked "promising." One step forward, eight steps back, I suppose. The writers are killing it, dismissing the movie as an unfunny play on black stereotypes. Gee. How could they possibly say that? Oh wait, maybe they've seen this...

1 comment: