Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A development that keeps getting arrested.

“Arrested Development” is the best television show I have ever seen. That’s followed at No. 2 with “The Wire.” Three through 402 are a crap shoot, and I don’t have the time, and you don’t have the patience to go through them with me.

The show was smart. The show was funny. The show was really smart. The show was smarmy. The show was really, really smart. The show was clever. And again, the show was really, really, really smart. Honestly, though. It’s hard to imagine a program that could ever do what the wonderful individuals behind “Arrested Development” were able to do ever again. Ever. And that’s why the recent chatter regarding a possible movie has once again heightened my hopes to the point of no return.

Because we love you, the thoughtful reader, we thought it would be a good time to go over a couple of the recent news-making instances that have surrounded the movie. We begin with Jen Aniston. It was first reported that there was a possibility of her being in the possible movie a few days ago when both her and Jason Bateman were doing press for their new movie that is set to come out. Those reports were later debunked when Bateman chastised bloggers (gasp!) and others for trying to make news out of nothing. That said, for the record, here’s a list of characters a few people thought Jen Aniston could play, should she appear in the movie. It’s pretty neat.

All of that is moot, anyways, because something tells me die-hard “Arrested Development” fans probably don’t care if she’s in the film or not. All we truly care about is weather or not it’s going to happen. Which leads us to this, a small piece that sees David Cross – for the 10th time, it seems – kill all AD fans’ dreams with his words by setting the date at 2087 for when things pick up. Why he must always be the voice of “this movie will never happen” both disappoints me and saddens me.

All of this, though, is overshadowed by one key component that I’m pretty curious to know: Will anybody care? I mean, let’s think about this. The show got cancelled after three seasons. It never got the “Family Guy” treatment by being resurrected from the dead for a second life somewhere else. You constantly see the DVDs on sale for five bucks and a grocery coupon. And when you consider the most recent successful example of TV done on film – “Sex And The City” – you must note that the HBO show appealed to a wide array of audiences, a far cry from the niche set of fans that obsess over whether or not George Michael and Maeby will ever kiss again.

That said, I happen to be in that niche set of fans, and I’m going to continue to slobber over every nugget of news that creeps its way out. In the meantime, I suppose I’ll have to settle for such cliché things as blooper reels…

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, will care. The finale set up a movie so well. I just hope it hasn't been so long that the actors have aged too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think even if something like that comes about, the writers will find a good way to make it interesting and smart. We can't expect anything less.

    ReplyDelete